CORRESPONDENCE with the USNRC
(THE U.S. NUCLEAR REGULATORY COMMISION)
last update October 27, 1998
In January of 1996 I contacted the Nuclear Regulatory Commission concerning the poor quality of Reactor Operator class room training, specifically in the important subject area of reactor behavior. Over the next eighteen months, a series of letters were exchanged with the NRC staff on this issue. The listing below is a partial tabulation of those letters.
My early letters are on the listing first, because they are accessible from my computer. The NRC response letters will be added as expeditiously as possible. These must first be scanned into the computer ... it will take a little time.
If you are involved in the training Reactor Operators, particularly in the subject of Reactor Theory, I think you will find the information contained in these letters not only most interesting but very disturbing. To date, the NRC has taken no action toward resolution of this matter. If you have any suggestions, or information, that might help move this issue along, please contact us.
- TO NRC: WRONG answers are required to pass the NRC License Exam.
- TO NRC: EXAMPLES of flawed INPO test items.
- NRC RESPONSE: ACKNOWLEDGEMENT of receipt of 1/10/96 letter.
- TO NRC: TRANSMITTAL of pages from INPO BWR Catalog.
- NRC RESPONSE: HALF of the issues raised have merit. (posted 7/9/98)
- TO NRC: NRC HomePage deficiency.
- TO NRC: ALL questions originally identified are flawed. (posted 7/19/98)
- TO NRC: TEN errors in the reference used by the NRC. (posted 7/31/98)
- TO NRC: APPEAL for Chairman Jackson's intervention. (posted 7/31/98)
- NRC RESPONSE:YOUR concerns will be addressed in our allegation review process. (posted 9/11/98)
- TO NRC:NRC understanding of my concerns is a disappointing start. (posted 9/11/98)
- TO NRC:DIRECT tie to two vital meters in the Control Room. (posted 9/11/98)
- TO NRC:THIRTY percent of the questions in the INPO Catalog are technically incorrect. (posted 9/11/98)
- NRC RESPONSE:EXPLANATION of the Allegations Review Process. (posted 9/11/98)
- TO NRC: DETAIL of my concerns about Reactor Operator training. (posted 10/3/98)
- TO NRC: INVALID NRC criterion for test item correction.. (posted 10/27/98)
- TO NRC: LINKAGE is not a sensible means for resolution.. (posted 10/27/98)
- NRC RESPONSE: NRC considers this matter closed.
- TO NRC: NRC response fails to reflect commitment to reactor safety.
- NRC RESPONSE: NRC cannot assess allegation based upon generalized claims.
- TO NRC: COMPLAINT about lack of NRC response elicits nothing except more of same.
- TO NRC: FINAL appeal to Chairman Jackson for intervention.